Dear non-Black folks,
We need to come to terms with the fact that we are all complicit in perpetuating anti-Black racism.
You cannot solve this by praying about it, sending positive vibes, or by asking everyone to be kind to one another.
You are not exempt if you are a person of color or are from another minority group. We are all participating in this racist society.
Yes, this is uncomfortable to hear.
Black people are being murdered for no reason. George Floyd, Tony McDade, Ahmaud Arbery and Breanna Taylor did not have to die.
Start with these steps.
- Learn about anti-Black racism in this country, how you are perpetuating it and how you can unlearn it. Start with How to be an Anti-racist by Professor Ibram X. Kendi or So You Want To Talk About Race by Ijeoma Olu.
- Talk to your family and friends. Call them out on their racist beliefs.
- Don’t convince yourself that you don’t have to do this because you have one or two Black friends. Repeat steps 1 to 3.
Yes, this is going to take a lot of work. Start today. Set yourself a reminder to think about this every month.
I’ve kept this short so that you don’t have decision paralysis. Folks are sharing tons of resources online. I hope you start here and keep going. The rest of this post will be resources that you can come back to and read.
“Anti-racism work is not self-improvement work for white people. It doesn’t end when white people ‘feel better.’ It ends when Black people are liberated.” – Rachel Cargle
- Why you should stop saying “all lives matter,” explained in 9 different ways
- 10 Books About Race To Read Instead Of Asking A Person Of Color To Explain Things To You by Sadie Trombetta
- Dismantling White Supremacy And The 5 Stages of Grief by Kim Crayton
- #BlackDisabledLivesMatter: Why we need to talk about both race and disability when addressing police brutality by Britney Wilson
- Your Kids Aren’t Too Young to Talk About Race: Resource Roundup by Katrina Michie
- Anti-racism resources by by Sarah Sophie Flicker, Alyssa Klein
- Shareable Anti-racism Resource Guide
For white folks
- Seeing White
- White Guyde To The Galaxy by Tatiana Mac
- Save the Tears: White Woman’s Guide by Tatiana Mac
- Asian American Complicity in Racism by Larry Lin
- 30+ Ways Asians Perpetuate Anti-Black Racism Everyday by Michelle Kim
- 20+ Allyship Actions for Asians to Show Up for the Black Community Right Now by Michelle Kim
For South Asians
- It Starts at Home: Confronting Anti-Blackness in South Asian Communities by Queer South Asian National Network
- South Asians 4 Black Lives
For Tech folks and leaders
- Automated systems and bias by Abeba Birhane
- Maintaining Professionalism In The Age of Black Death Is….A Lot by Shenequa Golding
- Dear Company Leaders – if you’re moved, angry, or concerned…good. USE THAT. by Dr. Erin L Thomas
- Silicon Valley waking up to the role tech plays in upholding white supremacy by Nicole Sanchez
- Your org needs to step up for Black folks right now. by Sheree Atcheson
- Twilio, Box, Spotify, and Other Tech CEOs Speak Out Against Racism and Police Brutality; Others Stay Silent by Sherrell Dorsey